Thursday, March 10, 2005

How NOT to do sponsorship.

In a former life I was a greasy PR consultant. But I'm pretty sure it takes only a basic knowledge of PR to know that this is not a good idea.

I can see the conversation:

Exxon man: "OK so we fucked up the environment good a few years ago but that was a long time ago and everyone has forgotten about it. So how can we promote our new corporate social responsibility?"

Thick-as-pigshit-sponsorship manager: "I know! How about we sponsor something cute and fuzzy that will help people to forget about it and brand it Exxon?"

Exxon man: "That is GENIUS! But I have one better, how about we make the name REALLY clear?"

With no further ado ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Healesville Sanctuary 'Exxon Chemical Rehabilitation Aviary'. No shit.

2 comments:

Flash said...

I wonder, do they provide rehab for just Exxon Chemicals, or other chemicals too?

Hammy Goonan said...

Pure 'destined for freedom' Gold