Monday, March 28, 2005

Bonsai Kitten gets Tobyfied!

You've got to love animal cruelty hoax sites. The latest, save toby, is bloody funny in that sort of sick and twisted way that we've all come to know and expect from the internet.

More so because it highlights just what hyppocritical little beggars we all are - most people would happily pay through the nose to have a rabbit meal in a restaurant but the second you see a cute one being ransomed on a website (I love the recipes which include '1x Toby') people go through the roof! This reminds me of the 'vegetarians' who will eat a type of meat UNLESS it resembles the animal it came from. Cute and fluffy = 'bad' but nicely packaged on a plate = fine. I know someone who will happily eat a burger from Maccas or somewhere equally evil but eschews meat in any other form....WTF?!! I'm sorry - but in my book that makes the transition from being principled to spineless - if you're not going to eat meat then it has to be in any form - otherwise, you're just salving your conscience.

Don't get me wrong - I am not on some moral high horse here - I eat meat and dead animals with the best of them - although if I had some more willpower and less of a fondness for meat I might not because i'm not really keen on the whole eating other beings thing...but I have enough trouble making a meal for myself in the evenings, let alone making one sans meat so it's always fallen into the 'to do one day...maybe' basket.

For those dedicated web procrastinators among us, Save Toby brings back fond memories of Bonsai Kitten - a vintage site that is sick yet oh so funny.

It also reminds me of Michael Moore's comment about his first film - Roger and Me. He commented some time afterwards that the inclusion of the infamous 'Pets or Meat' bunny skinning sequence, attracted more negative feedback than any other aspect of the film, which, judging by the response to toby's plight, sounds about right.

And, in case anyone really is falling for Save Toby's premise - visit here, to reassure yourself and chill out. The Age was getting itself worked up about it today - you would have hoped they might do just the tiniest but of web research to check it out first.

As a young Vietnamese acquaintance said in a recent email to me - 'Peace out'.

2 comments:

Hammy Goonan said...

Firstly, bloody Vegos!!

Secondly, just eat the bloody rabbit. I've eaten rabbit before - it's great in a stew.

Finally, what shits me is vegos that only eat fist. If you're worried about animals and want to eat a white meat (because you'll die of iron deficiency otherwise) then eat chicken, where not running out of chickens but we are over fishing. Sorry, getting serious there, kill the rabbit!

Mad Hatter. said...

Nice piccy Hammy!

Fond memories of Elmer Fudd coming back to me now :-)