Friday, January 20, 2006

A wee musical appreciation rant.

Thought i'd just take a leaf out of Hammy's blog and do a bit of a rave about the concert I just got back from.

Which, for the record, was goddamn awesome.

Headlining was Antony and the Johnsons. If androgynous gospel-inspired soul from a man with the voice of an angel and a nice sideline in cabaret patter floats your boat then this is the boy (girl?) for you. Props to Timothy Mark Arnold for introducing me to them some time ago and for being my charming date this evening.

In a rare twist of fate and good taste - the support acts were also pretty damn special. Coco Rosie is a little hard to describe, other than being somewhat akin to a gorgeous smacked up mongrel crossbreed of Billie Holiday, Bjork and deep south-referencing white girl rappers. It is actually two sisters (one classically trained in Paris and the other who goes by the name of Red Bone Slim) and a drummer - all of whom took some delight in appearing in white trash costume and wigs while working their spell on us.

And even the support act's support act was good! [rolls on floor in paroxyms of ecstasy]. A local group called the Stiletto Sisters, a joyous, mischievous bodice-wearing trio of violin, cello and accordion who play some damn fine gypsy music. Will definitely turn into a groupie for their regular melbourne gigs.

OK - enough music raving - normal service will be resumed shortly :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Finally got a (Pity) mention.... PS. The AATJ link aint working.
The Devilishly Attractive Timothy Mark

Anonymous said...

Gaag!! Aagh!! In all the hustle of returning from Singapore, I forgot they were playing on Thurs! I adore them. I now have to ritually disembowel myself. Excuse me.

Anonymous said...

This was me: "Gaag!! Aagh!! In all the hustle of returning from Singapore, I forgot they were playing on Thurs! I adore them. I have to ritually disembowel myself. Excuse me."

I have a hyperactive trackpad to tame.

Mad Hatter. said...

Quite frankly i think ritual auto-disembowelment is letting yourself off rather lightly.

You would have loved audience-watching too - rather entertaining...but you know that already ;-)