Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Vinastyle in Melbourne town.

It's been a couple of months since I came back from Vietnam but every now and then I find myself doing something that puts me right back into central Saigon.

One such trick I have been working on is the art of putting as much crap as is humanly possible on to a scooter, regardless of stability, legality etc. I have dabbled with multiple small suitcases, multiple large bags of fertiliser etc but the other day it was time for a new challenge.

In a fit of thesis-writing enthusiasm I went out and bought a new printer/scanner/copier/washing machine combo thingy with which to print the screeds of indispensible knowledge that I am no doubt going to be churning out over the next few months.

Problem was that it wouldn't fit on the front flat bit of the scoot where I normally cram stuff that needs to be carried 'en route on scoot'. My scoot has a pretty large top box at the back but it wouldn't fit there either. There was, however, just enough space between the top box and where I normally sit to perch the (rather large) box.

Next issue was figuring out how to attach the bugger. I haven't got as organised as carrying rope or bungee cords with me in my scoot (I prefer to go for the completely disorganised chaos approach) so I was in need of some rope. Being just about to leave uni I went and raided Tezza's office to see if he had any rope-type materials. Alas, Tezza being an academic he was sadly lacking in any practical materials such as rope - we grabbed some scissors and a canvas bag left over from the open day and wandered back to the scoot with some vague ineffectual intention of cutting the bag into a rope of some description...which would have worked SO well.

Luckily for the egos of all concerned, my scavenger instincts took over as I spotted a rather convenient dumpster full of old uni crap sitting near my scoot. So, after a few minutes scavenging I emerged triumphant with a telephone cable that was perfect for the job of dodgily lashing a too-large printer to the back of a too-small scooter. At this point Tezza's boy scout training kicked in and he did a most respectable job of tying said printer and scooter together - leaving me to crawl through diabolical traffic in 30 degree heat for nearly an hour ....felt just like being back in Saigon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

....perenium