Monday, July 04, 2005

The iceman saweth.


This photo, taken from my balcony yesterday morning, is of the guy who supplies to all the cafes/street stalls etc in our area.

He stores the ice on the road under a tarp about 50m from our house. At this stage the ice is in massive blocks (about the length of a motorbike for comparison's sake) which he loads on to his motorbike truck (pictured) and drives up to the ice-cutting table saw (I even just googled to figure out what it was - not a bandsaw like I thought - let it never be said that I don't do my research!).

He loads each massive block onto the saw and cuts it into progressively smaller blocks, until it looks like the little ones that are falling off the end into the ice bucket below the table saw (double click on the photo to enlarge it, then squint and you can see it!).

The aim of the game is to do this at 7am on a Sunday morning (ice waits for no man!) and wake me up with the sound of ice being put through a table saw - similar to 10 million fingernails being scratched down a blackboard.

Then he delivers it to the internet cafe that gives me iced tea...

No comments: