Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Sexy like a mofo!


Been at the place I am studying at for 3 days now and things are going ripper beaut. I have managed to settle on a price to get here with my regular xe om motorbike guy that is only twice the going rate (and still a bargain for me). What's more, I have been given the sexiest 'motorbike helmet' (read 'crappy bicycle helmet') in the world for my daily trip.

WHAT'S MORE: it's branded! That's right, I am now the proud owner of a helmet bearing the logo of the most expensive university in the country...y'know I considered a neon light saying 'mug me on my motorbike' stuck to my back but I thought this was more subtle.

Speaking of muggings, the nurse I live with works at one of the international medical centres in the city ('Gastro and bike accidents r us') and says that since the government has recently begun to crack down on unlicensed workers in the city (coming in from the countryside) the number of motorbike muggings has gone up exponentially. Their clinic is getting at least one case a week of someone who has been injured while being mugged as a passenger on a motorbike or while walking on the side of the road within grabbing range of a bike. The rule of thumb as a tourist used to be that you wore any handbags/shoulder bags across your chest so it couldn't be grabbed off - now you should be wearing them on one shoulder so they can! Even if it is across your chest they will have a go at grabbing - potentially pulling you off the bike at the same time. Even more fun are the crew that nick your bag/cellphone/sunglasses etc and then shove a stick in your spokes to stop you from giving chase....neato.

As for me, I wear a backpack on both shoulders and am more interested in staying on the bike that using a phone while doing so (the doctor flatmate had her phone nicked that way)...I know I am tempting fate but fingers crossed I am slightly reducing the prospect of visiting my housemate at her clinic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but is the helmet approved?? does it that the os-tray-lee-anne standards sticker?? or the dot or such?? i think not.

but its very cool. i wan o-so.

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my bike cheap insurance motor motorcycle site.
Good luck in your endeavors!